Collaborate from anywhere with Whereby (formerly appear.in)! Easy video meetings with no login for guests allowing you and your team to live and work where you thrive.
With no app or installs required, and the same meeting link every time, Whereby gives you the freedom to work from anywhere with encrypted video meetings.
Whereby is a video conferencing tool that incorporates screen sharing, recording, chat, live reactions and integrations with Google Drive, Trello, Miro and YouTube in personalized meeting rooms for up to 50 people.
Whereabouts : We are fully-remote, global and hours agnostic. Please be aware that many of our team are based in Europe. This means will generally need to have at least 3 hours of work cross-over with CET and GMT. Read more about our approach to Remote working here.
Salary : Starting* at £62,112.00 globally and $120,671 for US candidates
Note : We have no “caps” on our salary, and you can read our full compensation philosophy here. If our advertised salary doesn’t suit your current expectations, just let us know.
Share options: Granted with 4 year vesting.
Reporting to: Adela Prisācaru, Engineering Manager.
Ask us anything: [email protected]
🌏 What Whereby is all about
Created with Scandinavian simplicity at heart, Whereby is a remote-first video meetings company with a vision of a world where anywhere works.
We believe in everyone. We see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission. This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-led, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market. We try to ensure both that we're building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for full-stack engineers
We're looking for passionate full-stack but backend-focused engineers to join our team. You should have some professional experience working with a software product in a startup or in a company that values innovation, great user experience and technical quality.
💫 Your mission in your first year at Whereby
As an engineer in our team, you'll play an active role in how we build and operate our product. You'll develop new capabilities, grow and enable your colleagues, shape the product and technical roadmap, help set ambitious goals, and collaborate closely with everyone in the team to achieve them.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role*
* Please do not see everything in this job ad as "must have", but rather a guiding list of what we're looking for. We know that no candidate will be the perfect match for all we've mentioned in this posting, so don't be afraid to apply if you feel you're close to the brief but not "spot on"
How we'll measure your success🌟
- Leading and shipping new features on our Product roadmap,
- Uptime and reliability of our platform,
- Engineering efficiency (code quality, time to deploy, etc),
- Peer reviews by other engineers and managers.
Your previous experience
- You have worked as a full stack developer, and your focus has previously been on back-end.
- Have demonstrated impact of your work with full stack development with a SaaS product,
- Have experience with designing and managing APIs,
- Are familiar with operations (AWS, Docker, Terraform),
- Have dipped your toes into Redis and websockets,
- Value security and all your work adhere to a high standard of information security principles,
- Enjoy working in distributed teams and working cross-functionally with Product managers, designers, user researchers and other developers,
- You develop code in a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure,
- Are keen to learn continuously, help others, communicate efficiently and do development in collaboration with others,
- And have a strong ability to be self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your tasks through to release.
Scope of your work
- Ensure Whereby is secure, scalable and reliable. We strive for security and privacy by design and want things to be robust when we ship them to all users.
- Getting insights in how end users use our product and making suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience.
- Help our product teams iterate quickly and deliver on the Engineering and Product roadmap.
- Contribute to an engineering culture based on high-quality code, data-driven discussions, technological innovation, business acumen, and diversity.
- Work closely with the rest of engineering, product managers, sales and customer support in making our product easy to work with, reliable, with good test coverage, great documentation, beautiful APIs, and configuration options that meet teams and customers' needs.
- Understand the important technical differentiating factors of our product, and leverage those in our architecture.
- Scope how new features can be built, and how requests from customers can be met.
- Write easy-to-read and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Share what you’re doing and any problems you’re having with the team.
- Breaking features into smaller chunks that can realistically fit in a two-week sprint.
- Work with Node.js and GitHub, using our CI/CD server to deploy things to our AWS infrastructure as soon as they’re ready.
- Get your colleagues to review your code before it is merged, and help them with reviewing theirs. Giving constructive feedback and suggestions for how to improve code quality, security and scalability.
- Share your knowledge.
- There are many ways to grow and progress beyond just managing people. In a start-up we want to encourage people to develop their careers in lots of different ways. For these reasons we have 3 'tracks' for your career progression and you can be on any available track, progressing along the path upwards, or moving horizontally between the competencies where your interests take you.
- You can read a detailed description of our progression tracks here.
You've read all this way... you may as well apply! 🙌